Thread: A True Definition Of MMA: A Very Unpopular Opinion

Threaded View

A True Definition Of MMA: A Very Unpopular Opinion

I am a traditional martial artist.

I studied different styles growing up and hold a black belt in 2 styles.

I have a background several disciplines and still train regularly.

I am currently working as a bodyguard.

Like most, I watched the UFC in it's early days and was perplexed with the level of freedom and desire of those to express their artform. I remember when Jerry Springer did a show on it in the 1990's and described it as "brutal anything goes fighting competition." I watched it get blocked from access on American TV. I saw it re-emerge and explode with a new face and new rules. Seeing the return of UFC and then the amazing spectacle of Pride really made me excited. From 2006 - 2009, I saw forums like Sherdog become filled with MMA-aholics. I lurked and enjoyed the arguments that MMA was everything in combat and everything else was fake and useless. If you didn't admit that MMA was the king of combat, you were either from a "Mcdojo" or you suck at fighting. Those were hilarious times for me. Silat, Krav Maga, Kung Fu... it all seemed to be nothing compared to MMA. It got to the point where the only thing that could prove you had high level combative skill was to see your MMA fight record. If you had an undefeated or even good MMA fight record, you were considered a respected and high level combatant. Times have changed. People are not so insistent in MMA as being the end all be all of fighting, but the fans are truly still crazy about it.

Unfortunately, I didn't continue on the hype train. I lost my enthusiasm for it many years ago and stopped MMA as whole. What caused me to have this change of heart? Actually, joining MMA competitions and becoming a fighter. I have an undefeated record, not a high one 6W - 0L. But, my time in MMA was enought for me to analyze the sport in a way very few have. Not from a computer or armchair, but by actually doing it.

So, I want to provide a clear definition of MMA from someone who has both MMA and TMA experience. While I won't be returning to "study" MMA or compete, I hope this is useful and may lead to interesting debate:

1. MMA is NOT a Martial Art

Before you get angry, answer this question: What is the curriculum for MMA? Yes, there are McMMA schools that promise to make you a great fighter. But, there is no clear MMA curriculum, it simply doesn't exist. Training methods and approaches differ from gym to gym and coach to coach. I have never met any two places that had a cohesive system. All Martial Arts have systems that can be adapted to many different types of situations. BBJ IS a martial art. Muay Thai IS a martial art. Currently, there are Con men claiming they can teach you to "fight MMA." That is simply impossible as MMA is not a martial art.

2. MMA is not form of self defense

(See above) It has no real system of fighting. It is more so "an idea" of mixing everything into one pot and calling it the highest form of combat. That is not science, it is mainly a idealology that is in someways flawed. (See 5 below for more info)

3. Nearly any blending of martials art styles can be considered "MMA"

The biggest issue I have with MMA is that it trivializes holding up the valuable knowledge of TMA and instead claims that MMA can beat everything because it has "ground game" AND "stand up game". However, due to the ambiguous nature of what MMA really is (as a science), it becomes hard to define in terms of combat praticality. In it's purist definition: Anyone who blends different styles together can be called MMA. If I took fencing and combined it with thumb wresting, sprinkled in archery and slap fighting... Technically, I could call myself MMA.

4. It is very different from real life combat

Real life combat flows very differently from MMA. I would never fight in an octagon the same way I fight in real life. Having experienced both, they are extremely different affairs. One has rules and limits your full application. The other has no rules and anything goes. The mindset, the science, the tools and situations are all different. However, the selling point of MMA is that these people ARE the world's best fighters. I wouldn't claim they are the world's best combatants though. There are people in the world whose combative science is just too lethal and deep. Of course, most MMA fans would never admit nor like to hear this. That is due to the great marketing and selling of the UFC. And I don't think MMA competitors need to prove they can destroy people in dangerous real life situations as that would be stupid...

5. MMA did not create nor can own the idea of cross training

The reason why MMA has gained traction as the great and most dangerous skill in the combat game is due to the idea cross training. UFC and MMA as whole take credit for cross training and make a simple claim: We can beat anyone out there because we have ALL the styles. That is simply rediculous.

A. MMA didn't invent cross training. Tradition chinese martial artists stressed the idea of cross training in ancient times. To know the enemy is know yourself. Even in the great works of Miyamoto Musashi, he stressed the importance of not relying on one weapon or system. Even Silat and traditional muay thai have philosophies that involved ideas of heavy foot work and adaptation knowledge.

B. Bruce Lee... the "father" of MMA
    This guy only finished 20-30% of Wing Chun and wanted to learn more. He was an ex-gang member. He beat up a few of his instructors and had a hot temper. He was impatient and wanted to learn more. His teacher refused. After a high level gong fu practitioner withstood his beating and stopped him, he got ****ed. He claimed he got too tired, too fast... A few days later declared ALL TRADITION STYLES are flowery movements and useless. What a huge amount of disrespect. So, he tried to re-invent the wheel by learning every style he could to create his own style. His creation: An unfinished piece of work called: Jeet Kune Do. This mindset took over the west and suddenly the idea of cross training was born. Unfortunately, his cross training idea was created by the chinese gong fu practitioners. His foot work and attacks were all from chinese gong fu masters and his philosophies were all from chinese masters who came before him. He just became famous and never gave them any credit. I used to idolize him, but after reseaching him, I feel sorely disappointed.

Now, true science is considered useless and going into MMA with some kick boxing knowledge and bjj makes you the ultimate unbreakable combative weapon. Unfortunately, this is not true. There is high level science out there, but I fear in the current bloodthirsty MMA enviornment as the end all be all philosophy, it will be lost...

6. MMA is an entertaining SPORT

If MMA isn't a Martial Art, then what is it? A sport plain and simple. It's a competition. Calling yourelf an MMA fighter doesn't really mean much. It just means you engage in competitions with combative rules. It's the same as an actor calling themselves a golden globe actor, even though they participate, but never won one. As a sport, it has no real weight in calling itself some sort of end all be all fighting style.

7. MMA is extremely dangerous and just not worth the risks (business and healthwise)

Having done MMA, there is a strangeness to it. After the fight, we shake hand and go for a beer. One of our guys has a broken nose, fractured ribs and a broken hand. He got paid 1000 bucks for that fight. Not nearly enough to cover hospital expenses alone, let alone training fees. This sport grinds you up and only a small percentage of fighters can get to RR or Connor Mc money. The 99% of them will have permanent injuries that will remain with them their whole lives, but at least they can the glory of kicking some ass. We claim that we will heal up and be alright. That is not true. Injuries pile up fasters than any sport I have ever participated, that includes boxing. Only because we don't have concussions, we sweep long lasting injuries under the rug. As the fans say, "If you are stupid enough to do it, you deserve it." Meh...
    Last edited by Hakaider; 02-04-2017 at 05:40 AM.